Transfering Courses to UVA

  1. General Information
  2. Approved Transfer Courses
  3. What if the course I want to transfer is not listed?
  4. Transferring a course that is a prerequisite to CS courses

General Information

Current UVA students taking course work at other institutions may need to secure permission prior to enrolling in courses at another institution – see more about this below. After completing such work, students must have official transcripts from the institution in which the courses were taken sent to the appropriate dean’s office at the University. Here are links to policies and procedures:

The College and SEAS pages have their own list of courses each has pre-approved. If a course is pre-approved, College students must submit a form before they take it (see the instructions on their website). SEAS does not require anything in advance if the course is pre-approved, but see their page for what you need to do after you complete the course.

Approved Transfer Courses

The pages above have links to school’s pre-approved list of courses, but here are direct links:

What if the course I want to transfer is not listed?

If the course is not on the pre-approved list for your school, approval is required before you take the course. First email the following to your program director ( or

  • Where you want to take the course from
  • Course Number / Title
  • Link to course syllabus or a PDF of the course syllabus
  • Why you believe the course is a match

We will then look at the course and inform you of the CS department’s decision as soon as possible, and then you will have to follow your school’s procedures for the paperwork approval.

Transferring a course that is a prerequisite to CS courses

The courses taken at another institution cannot apply toward prerequisites at UVA until it has been completed and the grade is shown in SIS. For example, if you plan to take a course to replace CS 2100 over the summer, SIS will not let you register for CS 3140 for the following fall until the course you are taking over the summer has been successfully completed AND is in SIS. There is no good way to put in exceptions in SIS based on what a student “plans to do.” You can always reach out to the professors of the course you want to get in to, but they will generally let the registration process proceed normally.